To apply for PAN Card, visit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/ site and follow these steps:
- NRIs, who are Indian citizens, are required to fill Form 49A while NRIs with citizenship of another country are required to fill up Form 49AA (https://www.tin-nsdl.com/downloads/pan/download/Form49AA_NSDL%20e-Gov_01.06.16.pdf). Although, a qualified financial investor should do it through depository participant only.
- People who hold Indian citizenship and settled abroad should use the Form 49A available for Indian citizens. Whereas NRIs who hold foreign citizenship, such as OCI holders or people of Indian origin who possess foreign citizenship or foreigners who are not of Indian origin are required to fill Form 49AA.
- A confirmation screen would appear after filling and submitting the form online. All the information filled can be checked and verified here. In case of any changes, one can edit it right there or else submit it. After submission, you would receive an online acknowledgement receipt containing a 15 digit number. Take at least 1 print of it.
- In the space provided in the acknowledgement, paste 2 recent passport size photographs.
- In the provided box, sign using black ink or put your left thumb impressions. This should be done in the provided box only; else your application may get rejected.
- Attach all the necessary documents along with your application. These documents include identification proof like Aadhaar card, driving license, voter ID card, address proof, 2 coloured photographs with black or white background, demand draft, etc.
- Any of the following would serve as a proof of address: copy of passport, copy of bank account statement in the resident country, copy of NRE bank account statement showing a minimum of 2 transactions in past six months. The document should be duly attested.
- The status of your application can be easily tracked using your acknowledgement number.