PAN (Permanent Account Number) is a unique 10 digit alphanumeric code assigned to all taxpaying entities in India. It is also issued to foreign nationals who are entitled to pay taxes to the Indian Government. The government has now made it mandatory for people to link their PAN with bank accounts to do transactions through them.
Ways to Link PAN with your Bank Account
There are different ways to link your PAN with your bank account. It can be done either by visiting the bank or by accessing the bank’s website online.
Linking PAN Card with Bank Account through Internet Banking
If you have not linked your bank account with your PAN and also do not have time to visit the bank, you can do it online from the comfort of your home or office. Here is the process that you need to follow:
- Open the website of your bank and go to the internet banking login page.
- Enter your user id and password and login to your internet banking account.
- Click on the “Service Requests” option from the range of options on the website.
- Select the “PAN Card Updation” option.
- Now enter your PAN, date of birth as mentioned on your PAN card and your registered e-mail address with the bank.
- Click the submit button after rechecking the details that you have entered.
- Your PAN will be linked with your bank account in a couple of days.
Linking PAN Card with Bank Account through Phone
PAN card can also be linked with your bank account even if you do not have any internet access at home. You will have to call the customer care of the bank and follow the IVR step by step.
- Call the toll-free customer care number of your bank. You can get it on the bank’s passbook, chequebook, pamphlets and other documents.
- Go through the IVR options and connect with the customer care executive.
- Inform the executive that you want to get your PAN linked with your account.
- You will be asked various questions such as your account number, address, debit card number, etc. to verify your credentials.
- Tell your PAN to the executive and confirm whether he has marked correct PAN.
- Once registered, your request will take another two days to process and the bank will link your PAN with the bank account.
Linking PAN Card with Bank Account Offline
For all those who are not familiar with internet banking or mobile banking, they can visit the bank to get their bank account linked with their PAN. If you fall in this category, you will have to follow a few simple steps.
- Visit the home branch where your account is being operated.
- Ask for the PAN updation form (KYC) and fill it completely. Ensure that you do not overwrite or make mistakes in the form.
- Submit the following documents:
- PAN updation form (KYC)
- Self –attested copy of your PAN card.
- A letter addressing the Branch Manager regarding linking PAN with your bank account.
Once submitted, your PAN would be linked with your operational bank account.
Link Aadhaar Card with PAN Card