If you have a duplicate PAN, you can surrender one of them in the following two ways:
How to Surrender a Duplicate PAN Card - Online
Follow these steps to surrender your PAN card online:
- Visit the NSDL website.
- From the “Application Type” drop-down, select the “Changes or Correction in existing PAN Data/Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing PAN Data)” option.
- Fill out the form completely and click the ‘Submit’ button. After you submit the form, your request will be registered and a token number will be generated and sent on the email address, which you have mentioned in the application.
- Note down your token number for future reference and continue the process by clicking the “Continue with PAN Application Form” button given below it.
- Now you will be directed to a new webpage. On the top of the new webpage, select the “Submit scanned images through e-Sign” option.
- At the bottom-left of the page, mention the PAN number you want to retain.
- Next, fill out your personal details, contact and other details in the form.
- At the bottom of the next page, mention the additional PANs that you want to surrender and then click the 'Next' button.
- On the next screen, select the proof of identity, residence and date of birth you want to submit.
- Upload the scanned images of your photograph, signature and the required documents. If an individual is requesting for the surrender of PAN, they themselves should sign the acknowledgment receipt, else they must be signed by the authorised signatories. For instance, Director in the case of a company and partner in the case of a partnership firm/LLP.
- After submitting your details, you will get a preview of your application form. Verify your details and make necessary edits wherever required or proceed to make the payment.
- Make the required payment via demand draft, credit card, debit card or internet banking.
- Once the payment is successful you will see a downloadable acknowledgment. Save and print the acknowledgement for future reference and as a proof of payment.
- Send a printed copy of the acknowledgment to NSDL e-Gov along with fix two photographs.
- Before sending the acknowledgement, label the envelop with 'Application for PAN cancellation' and the acknowledgement number.
- Send the signed acknowledgment along with the demand draft (if required) and the required documents (proof of an existing PAN (if any), proof of (identity, address and date of birth)) to the following address:NSDL e-Gov at 'Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411 016.
How to Surrender a Duplicate PAN Card - Offline
- Fill out the “Request For New PAN Card Or/And Changes Or Correction in PAN Data” form. Follow this link to download the form: https://www.tin-nsdl.com/downloads/pan/download/PAN-CR-Form_NSDL%20e-Gov_01.06.16.pdf
- Submit the PAN form at the nearest NSDL collection centre with the copies of the necessary documents.
- Once you submit the form, you will get an acknowledgement slip, which is to be sent to NSDL office. This letter should reach the office within 15 days of filing the request.
- Also file a letter with the Assessing Officer listing the duplicate PAN details and requesting for cancellation of the same. The Assessing Officer may also demand for an affidavit stating that the individual does not own any other PAN card except the one that is in use.