With the increasing number of services being linked to Aadhaar, UIDAI has introduced a mobile application, mAadhaar app, which will act as a soft copy of your original Aadhaar. Android users can download this mobile application from Google Play Store but the iOS users will have to wait for some time.
Read further to know how to download and setup mAadhaar app on your Android devices.
mAadhaar Installation Process
Before you start installing mAadhaar on your mobile, ensure that the mobile number on your Android smartphone is linked to your Aadhaar. If your mobile number and Aadhaar are linked, follow these steps:
- Download the mAadhaar app by following the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.gov.uidai.mAadhaarPlus&hl=en
- Install the app on your smartphone.
- Open the mAadhaar app on your mobile and create a new password.
- Enter your Aadhaar number or scan the QR code present on your Aadhaar card to add your Aadhaar details to the app.
- Verify Aadhaar details with a verification code that will be sent to your registered mobile number (the app reads the verification code on its own)
- Once the verification is successful, your Aadhaar data will get synced to your mobile application.
Know More About mAadhaar
The key features of mAadhaar app are as follows:
1. Aadhaar Data and App Synchronization
mAadhaar allows users to sync their Aadhaar data with the mobile application. Doing so makes it easy for users to carry their Aadhaar details anytime, anywhere on their mobile devices.
2. Biometric Locking/Unlocking
The app comes with a unique feature to lock and unlock biometric data. After enabling Biometric Locking System on the app, the user’s biometrics will remain locked till they unlock it. Also, the user’s biometrics will remain unlocked only for a short period.
3. TOTP Generation
Instead of SMS-based OTP (One-time Password), mAadhaar generates the Time-based One Time Password (TOTP). TOTP provides short-lived OTP values, which are beneficial to give enhanced security to users.
4. Profile View
After the implementation of an update request, users can view updated Aadhaar details on the app once the app downloads their data from UIDAI.
5. QR Code and eKYC Sharing
The mAadhaar app allows its users to share their updated Aadhaar profile using QR (Quick Response) code. The app also allows users to share their eKYC (Electronic Know Your Customer) data with service providers.
What are its benefits?
The benefits that the mAadhaar app provides its users are listed as following:
- Convenience: It is more convenient for users to carry Aadhaar on their mobile devices than carrying in their pockets all day.
- Security: Time-based One Time Password (TOTP) and lock and unlock biometric data are the two unique features of the mobile application that keep the users information safe and secure.
- Easy Data Sharing: With mAadhaar, it is easy for the users to share their updated Aadhaar profile and eKYC details with third-party applications.
- Multiple Profiles Option: The mobile application also allows the users to add maximum three profiles in a device provided the Aadhaar-registered mobile number of all three profiles is same).
Is it safe and reliable?
The idea behind introducing this app is to make sharing of Aadhaar profiles simpler. As far as the data security is concerned, the app is secured by a password. Every time you open the app or want to carry out an action on the app, you need to enter password. The app also comes with a biometric lock feature to secure data. Other than this, it has the “TOTP generation” feature, which provides better security than the SMS-based OTP. As far as sharing of your Aadhaar details is concerned, the users are completely responsible for it and not the UIDAI. Also, your Aadhaar details might be at stake if you lose your smartphone.
Is your mobile number not linked with Aadhaar?
If your mobile number is not linked with Aadhaar, you will not be able to use the mAadhaar app. In case you want to avail the benefits of mAadhaar app, here’s what you can do:
- Visit the nearest Aadhaar centre to fill out the Aadhaar Data Update/Correction form. You can also download the form from the UIDAI website or simply click here for instant download.
- Submit the form to the concerned person at the Aadhaar enrolment centre along with a copy of Aadhaar card and the proof of identity.
- Verify your biometric details and collect the acknowledgment slip.
- Wait for 10 days (approx.) for the update.