PAN Card is a mandatory requirement for all Indian citizens and judicial entities, especially those who pay income tax. Whether you apply for PAN online or offline, you will find two types of PAN application forms – Form 49A and Form 49AA. Resident Indians and entities incorporated in India have to fill Form 49A in order to apply for PAN Card. Foreign nationals and entities incorporated outside the country are also eligible for PAN; they have to fill out Form 49AA for PAN application.
|PAN Application Form||Description|
|To be filled by Indian Citizens, Entities incorporate in India and Indian Companies, Unincorporated entities formed in India|
|To be filled by individuals not being a citizen of India, Unincorporated entities, Entities incorporated outside India and unincorporated entities formed outside India|
Form 49A requires you to fill out your personal details like name, address, contact, etc. along with photograph and signature. The first two pages of the form are to be filled by the applicant and the rest of the pages include instructions for filling Form 49A. Let us look at the components of Form 49A in some detail -
1- Assessing Officer (AO Code) - This is the first field to be filled by the applicant. AO Code consists of Area Code, AO Type, Range Code and AO Number. This information can be found online on NSDL Website’s AO Code Search for PAN.
2- Full Name- Select the title from Mr., Ms. or Mrs and write your full name in the blocks provided.
3- Abbreviation of the Name- Here you need to write an abbreviation of your name that will be printed on your PAN Card. It is advisable to use the name that is present on all other documents you have.
4- Have you known by any other name? - If yes, you should provide the name in this section.
6- Date of Birth/Incorporation/Agreement/Partnership or Trust Deed/ Formation of Body of individuals or Association of Persons
7- Details of Parents- This is applicable only for individual applicants.
8- Address- You need to provide your residential and office address and in the next section tick the address (Residence or Office) that you want to keep as your communication address. This is the address to which your PAN Card will be dispatched.
9- Telephone Number and E-mail ID
10- Status of the Applicant- The applicant can fall in any one of the following categories-
- Hindu Undivided Family
- Partnership Firm
- Association of Persons
- Body of Individuals
- Local Authority
- Artificial Juridical Persons
- Limited Liability Partnership
12- Aadhaar Number
13- Source of Income- Choose from the following:
- Capital Gains
- Income from Business /Profession
- Income from Other sources
- Income from House property
- No income
14- Representative Assessee (RA)- If your income tax is filed by another person, then his/her name and address has to be mentioned in PAN Card Form.
15- Documents submitted as Proof of Identity (POI), Proof of Address (POA) and Proof of Date of Birth (DOB)
16- Declaration- At the end of the form, the applicant has to fill his name along with the date and place of application and sign the form.
For Individuals -
- Marital status
- Citizenship Status
- Occupation details- Private sector service, Public sector/Govt. service, Business Professional, Agriculturist, Retired, Housewife, Student or Other
- Type of company- Private Company, Public Company, Body Corporate, Financial Institution, Non-Government Organization or Charitable Organization
- Gross Annual Income in INR
- Net-worth (Assets less liabilities) in INR
- Does it have few persons or persons of the same family holding beneficial ownership and control
- Is the entity involved / providing any of the following services- Foreign Exchange, Money Changer Services, Gaming/Gambling/Lottery services (Casinos and Betting Syndicates) or Money Lending, Pawning
- Whether the applicant or the applicant’s authorised signatories/trustees/office bearers are politically exposed or related to a politically exposed person
- Taxpayer identification Number in the country of residence
Whether listed on a stock exchange or not. If listed, the name of stock exchange is also required
Points to Remember when Filling out Form 49A or Form 49AA
- Read the guidelines and adhere to them
- Fill the PAN Card Form in block letters and preferably in black ink
- Ensure to fill up the form in English only and asterisk (*) marked fields are all mandatory
- Names should be entered without the use of any abbreviation or salutation or title
- Ensure to select the correct document type that you are enclosing as a proof (checklist of proofs accepted is available on NSDL website)
- Make sure that the mentioned AO Code is correct
- Affix the photographs in necessary space provided. Provide recent coloured photograph with white background. Photographs should not be pinned or stapled to the form.
- Signature / Left hand thumb impression should be provided across the photo affixed on the left side of the form in such a manner that portion of signature/impression is on photo as well as on form. No tampering should be done with the photograph affixed on the right side of the form.
- Thumb impression, if used, should be attested by a Magistrate or a Notary Public or a Gazetted Officer under official seal and stamp
- Recheck and edit if there are any corrections