Linking Aadhar with PAN has become mandatory because your income tax return would not be processed if your Aadhar is not linked with PAN. Also, if you have to carry out a banking transaction above Rs 50,000, you have to get your PAN and Aadhar linked. Linking PAN card with Aadhaar card is very simple and the government has provided various methods to do that, which you can know about further.
How to Link PAN Card to Aadhaar Card Online through e-Filing Website
People can get their PAN and Aadhar linked online by following the steps mentioned below:
Step 1. Visit the Income Tax e-Filing website to link your PAN and Aadhaar.
Step 2. Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number in the form.
Step 3. Enter your name as mentioned in your Aadhaar card.
Step 4. In case only your birth year is mentioned on your Aadhaar card, you have to tick the square.
Step 5. Now enter the captcha code mentioned in the image for verification
Step 6. Click on the “Link Aadhaar” button.
Step 7. A pop-up message will appear that your Aadhaar will be successfully linked with your PAN.
Visually challenged users can request for an OTP that will be sent to the registered mobile number instead of the captcha code.
How to Link Aadhaar with PAN by Sending a SMS
- You have to type a message in the format.
- UIDPAN<12 Digit Aadhaar> <10 Digit PAN>
- Send the message to either 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number
If your Aadhaar number is 987654321012 and your PAN is ABCDE1234F, you have to type UIDPAN 987654321012 ABCDE1234F and send the message to either 567678 or 56161
Correction Facility for Linking your PAN with Aadhar Card
It is worth noting that PAN and Aadhar linking is successful only when all your details in both the documents match. In case there are errors such as spelling mistakes in your name, your PAN will not be linked with Aadhaar. You can make changes through UIDAI’s website or on the portal of NSDL PAN. In case there are errors, you can get it corrected by following these steps:
- The user can correct his PAN details using the NSDL website.
- The NSDL link redirects to the page where you can apply for the correction of your name.
- Submit signed digital documents to get your PAN details updated.
- Once your details are corrected in your PAN and confirmed by NSDL over a mail, you can link your PAN with Aadhaar.
- The UIDAI method is relatively simpler. Here’s how you can do it through UIDAI’s website:
- Visit the UIDAI webpage by clicking https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update and enter your Aadhaar and security code.
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- In case you have to change the spelling of your name, only OTP is required.
- In case you have to modify other details such as gender and date of birth, you have to send the supporting documents for updation.
- Once approved, the user can link his PAN card with Aadhaar.
Importance of Linking PAN Card with Aadhar Card
Linking PAN with Aadhar is very important for all PAN card holders because of the following reasons:
- All PAN cards that are not linked with Aadhaar will be deactivated after March 2018.The government has made it mandatory to link all PAN with Aadhaar.
- Linking PAN with Aadhaar will help in tackling the problem of multiple PAN cards issued in the same name.
- You income tax return form would not be processed if your PAN is not linked with Aadhaar.
- The user will get a summarised detail of taxes levied on him for future reference.
Q. I don't have Aadhaar. Can I still e-file my tax return?
A. Yes, you can file tax returns but it will not be processed until your Aadhaar is linked with PAN. In case you have enrolment number, you can link it with PAN and your e-return would be processed this year but you will have to link your PAN with Aadhaar at a later stage.
Q. Is there any other process to link the two?
A. Right now, there are only two processes. The user has to get his documents linked by any one of the processes.
Q. Do NRIs need Aadhaar card to e-file?
A. NRIs are exempt from quoting their Aadhaar while filing their income tax e-returns.
Q. Who will be required to link PAN and Aadhaar numbers? What if my income is below taxable limits?
A. Even if the taxable income of an individual is below the taxable limits, he has to link his PAN with Aadhaar. Otherwise, it will be deactivated by March 2018.
Q. What are the benefits that I am entitled to receive when I link my PAN and Aadhaar number?
A. Your Pan card will not be deactivated after March 2018. You will get summarised details of tax levied on you in the financial year and also it will become easier for you to file income tax returns.
Q. When is the Aadhaar-PAN linking not compulsory?
A. You are exempt from linking your Pan with Aadhaar if:
- You are a NRI
- Residents of Assam, Meghalaya and Jammu & Kashmir
- Foreign nationals residing in India.
- Senior citizens who are more than 80 years of age at any time during the financial year
Q. Is it mandatory to create an account with the department website?
A. All taxpayers have to create an account with the Income Tax Department to file their e-returns.
Q. How can I change the mobile number that is registered with Aadhaar?
A. In order to get your mobile number updated, you have to visit a nearby Aadhaar Enrolment Centre and get your mobile number updated.
Q. Do I have to submit any documentary proof to link my PAN and Aadhaar card?
A. Linking PAN with Aadhaar is a very simple process. You can do it online or via SMS. You do not have to submit any document proof.
Q. What are the details I have to check when linking my PAN with my Aadhaar card?
A. You have to check your name, gender and date of birth when linking your Aadhaar with PAN. In case there are errors, you can get them rectified before linking both documents.